e-mailAESpielberg at csail dot mit dot edu
I'm a first year PhD student at MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory co-advised by Wojciech Matusik and Daniela Rus, working on the Printable Programmable Machines project. Prior to joining MIT, I earned my M.Eng in Computer Science and my B.S. in Computer Science and Engineering Physics at Cornell University, where I briefly worked with Hod Lipson's group, and then spent two years working as a research engineer in the Asymmetric Operations Department at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab (JHU/APL).
I work in the intersection of fabrication and robotics. Previously, that meant designing algorithms for robotic assembly, but these days I am creating tools to enable users to quickly design, program, and 3-D print their own personal robots using data-driven tools. I am strongly interested in democratizing fabrication, both in form and function, and computational creativity. My work falls in the intersection of computer graphics, machine learning, and robotics. I also love projects related to video games.
Last summer I spent an awesome internship at Disney Research: Pittsburgh, working on projects in fabrication and interaction.
- Schulz, A.; Sung, C.; Spielberg, A.; Zhao, W.; Cheng, Y.; Grinspun, E.; Rus, D.; Matusik, W., "Interactive Robogami: Data-Driven Design for 3D Print and Fold Robots with Ground Locomotion," ACM Transactions on Graphics (ToG).
- Dogar, M.*; Knepper, R.*; Spielberg, A.*; Choi, C.; Christensen, H.; Rus, D., "Multi-Scale Assembly
With Robot Teams," The International Journal of Robotics Research - ISER 2014 Special Issue. (*
denotes co-first authorship)
- Dogar, M.; Spielberg, A.; Baker, S.; Rus, D., "Multi-Robot Grasp Planning for Sequential Assembly Operations," Robotics and
Automation (ICRA), 2015 IEEE International Conference on. Nominated for Best Paper in Manipulation and Best Paper Overall
- Knepper, R.; Dogar, M.; Spielberg, A.; Choi, C.; Christensen, H.; Rus, D., "Towards Coordinated Precision Assembly with Robot Teams," 2014 International Symposium on Experimental Robotics (ISER 2014).
- Ayanian, N.; Spielberg, A.; Arbesfeld, M.; Strauss, J.; Rus, D., "Controlling a Team of Robots With a
Single Input," Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2014 IEEE International Conference on.
- Schulz, A.; Sung, C.; Spielberg, A.; Zhao, W.; Cheng, Y.; Mehta, A.; Grinspun, E.; Rus, D.; Matusik, W., "Interactive Robogami: Data-Driven Design for 3D Print and Fold Robots with Ground Locomotion," SIGGRAPH 2015.Supplemental material.
- Dogar, M.; Spielberg, A.; Rus, D., "Multi-Robot Grasp Planning for Sequential Assembly Operations," Robot Manipulation: What Has Been Achieved and What Remains to Be Done? Intelligent Robots (IROS), 2014 IEEE International Conference on.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Second place in the 2015 CSAIL Amazing Research Highlights Competition, a contest for the best demo in MIT - CSAIL, for our submission of Interactive Robogami.
- Finalist in 2014 Kuka Innovation Award (Withdrew from Finals due to conference travel conflicts).
- Three-time Finalist in JHU/APL Ignition Grants Challenge, a challenge in which employees submit
small-scale grant proposals and the proposals are voted on by the employee-base of the lab. My
projects were in developing a 3D scanner, an educational game for teaching algorithmic thinking to
high schoolers, and a kit for rapidly prototyping robots.
- Honorable mention in JHU/APL Innovation Challenge.
- 2nd place in Cornell Mathematical Contest in Modeling, Honorable Mention at national level.
- Dean's List (Cornell University undergraduate).